Because we are living through an unprecedented healthcare phenomenon, PYA is committed to sharing timely and relevant information that we hope will benefit our clients and colleagues. The COVID-19 HUB will centralize PYA’s thought leadership, guidance, and resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Thought Leadership from PYA
How Can Private Payers Further Assist Providers During the COVID-19 Crisis?
-by PYA Principals Robert Paskowski and David McMillan, published 04-03-20
A Provider Resource Guide to Connecting Older Adults While Maintaining Social Distancing
-by PYA Principals Kathy Greenlee and Martie Ross, published 04-02-20
Stark Law Blanket Waiver Documentation Checklist
-by PYA Principals Lyle Oelrich and Martie Ross, published 04-02-20
COVID-19: CMS Waivers Relax Stark Law Requirements For Real Estate Arrangements
–by PYA Affiliate Realty Trust Group’s Goran Musinovic, J.D., published 04-02-20
HIPAA and Substance Use Disorder in the Age of COVID-19 — New Provisions in the CARES Act
-by PYA Principal Shannon Sumner and Manager Susan Thomas, published 04-01-20
CARES Act Paycheck Protection Program Application Released
-by PYA Principals Debbie Ernsberger, David McMillan, and Mike Shamblin, published 04-01-20
Healthcare Real Estate Compliance: Leasing Considerations in the Midst of the COVID-19 Pandemic
-by PYA Affiliate Realty Trust Group’s Goran Musinovic, J.D., and Michael Honeycutt
“$100 Billion-Plus in CARES Act for Healthcare: 3 Ways to Get It”
PYA Principals David McMillan and Martie Ross are quoted in a new article published in HealthLeaders, published 03-31-20
Ensuring Provider Cash Flow During the COVID-19 Pandemic—Medicare Advance Payments
-by PYA Principals Martie Ross, David McMillan, and Manager Casey Wilburn, published 03-30-20
Take These Actions NOW in Preparing to Quickly Apply for a CARES Act “Small” Business Paycheck Protection Loan
-by PYA Principals Debbie Ernsberger, David McMillan, and Mike Shamblin, published 03-30-20
Fast Facts: Paycheck Protection Loan Program For “Small” Businesses
– by PYA Principals Debbie Ernsberger, Mike Shamblin, and David McMillan, published 03-27-20
5 Practical Revenue Cycle Initiatives During COVID-19
-by PYA Principals Lori Foley and Kathy Reep, and Manager Dave Ebel, published 03-27-20
Expanded Flexibility for 340B Stakeholders in the COVID-19 Pandemic
– by PYA Principal Shannon Sumner, Senior Manager Sarah Bowman, and Consultant Katie Ray, published 03-26-20
Riding Out the Storm – 10 Potential Solutions to Stabilize Physician Resources During the COVID-19 Pandemic
– by PYA Principal Carol Carden and Principal Martie Ross, published 03-23-20
CMS Provides Broad Relief Under Quality Reporting Programs
– by PYA Principal Martie Ross and Principal Lori Foley, published 03-23-20
Regulators Weigh-In—Guidance for Financial Institutions on Loan Modifications Associated With COVID-19
– by PYA Principal Matt Neilson and Principal Mike Shamblin, published 03-23-20
IRS Announces Extension, Relief for Taxpayers — Important Takeaways
– by PYA Manager Tim Morrison, published 03-23-20
When It Rains, It Pours: The COVID-19 Procedure Deferral’s Impact on Physician Compensation
– by PYA Principal Carol Carden, published 03-19-20
How CMS COVID-19 Emergency Waivers Impact Providers
-by PYA Principal Martie Ross, published 03-18-20
COVID-19 Pandemic: Expansion of Medicare Telehealth Benefit
– by PYA Principal Martie Ross, published 03-18-20
Educational Events from PYA
NOTE: WEBINARS WILL BE RECORDED AND POSTED AS “ON-DEMAND” LATER THE SAME DAY OR EARLY THE FOLLOWING MORNING.
Monday, April 06, 2020 at 11am EDT
PYA will host a complimentary one-hour webinar aimed at helping independent medical group owners, partners and practice executives, law firms, and financial advisors by offering strategies for physician practice survival.
Friday, April 03, 2020 at 11am EDT
Late on March 30, CMS released an interim final rule which, among other things, significantly expands Medicare telehealth coverage, even beyond the initial Section 1135 waivers. PYA’s complimentary one-hour webinar will explain these changes and how they make telehealth an even more attractive option in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The new Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act—the CARES Act—includes billions of dollars in relief for healthcare providers. In this complimentary webinar, PYA experts explained the complicated legislative language to help you understand the help that’s on the way. Originally presented on Monday, March 30th.
Medicare’s decision to reimburse for telehealth services, concerns for patient and staff safety, and the loss of revenue from canceled elective procedures are leading many physician practices to consider providing or expanding telehealth services. During this complimentary webinar, PYA’s panel of heavy-hitting experts provided guidance physician practices can use to rollout, or further tap into, the telehealth opportunity. Originally presented on Thursday, March 26th.
Under a special COVID-19 waiver, Medicare will now reimburse providers for telehealth services regardless of where the beneficiary is located. PYA Principal Martie Ross, one of our telehealth experts, provided a practical, step-by-step explanation of the new billing rules. PYA Principal Kathy Greenlee, former Assistant Secretary for Aging at the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, offered insights on how to engage seniors in telehealth services. Originally presented on Wednesday, March 25th.
Under a special COVID-19 waiver, Medicare will now reimburse providers for telehealth services regardless of where the beneficiary is located. PYA Principal Martie Ross, one of our telehealth experts, provided a practical, step-by-step explanation of the new billing rules. PYA Principal Kathy Greenlee, former Assistant Secretary for Aging at the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, offered insights on how to engage seniors in telehealth services. Both Martie and Kathy answered questions following their presentations. Originally presented on Monday, March 23rd.
COVID-19 Resources & Links
Stark Law Blanket Waiver Documentation Checklist (written and published by PYA 04-02-20)
- Text of Act on Congressional Website
- American Hospital Association Summary
- Medicare Advance Payments – CMS Program Instructions
UPDATE REGARDING WAIVERS: Late on March 30, an Interim Final Rule, updated Section 1135 waivers, and Stark Law blanket waivers were published. We are working diligently to update our content regarding these matters.
- March 17 CMS Press Release
- March 17 CMS Frequently Asked Questions
- March 17 CMS Medicare Telemedicine Health Care Provider Fact Sheet
- DEA Diversion Control Division – Use of Telemedicine in Prescribing Controlled Substances
- OCR Notification of Enforcement Discretion for telehealth remote communications
- OIG Policy Statement on Waiver of Medicare Co-Payments and Deductibles for Telehealth Services
- CMS Tool Kits
- List of Medicare Covered Telehealth Services for CY20
- March 24 CMS FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage
- Center for Connected Health Policy – List of COVID-19 State Action Regarding Telehealth
- March 24 CMS FAQs on Private Health Insurance Telehealth Coverage
OTHER SECTION 1135 WAIVERS
- March 13 CMS Press Release
- March 13 COVID-19 Emergency Declaration Health Care Providers Fact Sheet
- March 22 CMS Guidance on State Medicaid Waiver Requests
- List of Approved State Section 1135 Waivers
- March 18 MLN Matters Special Edition Article
- March 18 OCR Notification of Enforcement Discretion (HIPAA)
COVID-19 CODING AND BILLING
MEDICARE QUALITY REPORTING PROGRAMS
- March 22 CMS Announces Relief for Clinicians, Providers, Hospitals and Facilities Participating in Quality Reporting Programs in Response to COVID-19
- March 28 OCR Bulletin – Civil Rights, HIPAA, and COVID-19
- OCR Guidance on COVID-19 and HIPAA: Disclosures to law enforcement, paramedics, other first responders and public health authorities
- OCR Notification of Enforcement Discretion for telehealth remote communications
- CMS Current Emergencies Page (contains general information, guidance and press releases by CMS)