PYA and Foley & Lardner hosted the third annual “Let’s ‘Virtually’ Talk Compliance” master class on Friday, January 22nd. The panel of presenters included healthcare attorneys, certified public accountants and valuators, and healthcare advisors. This complimentary webinar also featured a roundtable discussion to answer participant questions on physician compensation, Stark Law/Anti-kickback Statute compliance, transactions, telemedicine, and cybersecurity. Classes included in the event:
- Managing Cybersecurity Threats
- Unintended Consequences of Due Diligence
- Update on the Telemedicine Landscape
- Physician Compensation: Hot Topics
Panelists include PYA experts Angie Caldwell, Lori Foley, Barry Mathis, and Valerie Rock; along with Foley & Lardner attorneys Jackie Acosta, Chanley Howell, Jana Kolarik, and Roger Strode.
The class was held on Friday, January 22 from 10 a.m to 3 p.m. EST. CPE, CLE, and CHC credits were available for those who attended the full duration of a session. NOTE: If seeking CLE credits you must fill out the CLE Verification Form and email it to Maggie Weschler at Foley & Lardner.
SESSION #1: IT Risks and Compliance Amid COVID-19
PYA’s Barry Mathis and Foley & Lardner’s Chanley Howell discussed:
- The ins and outs of complying with the information blocking prohibition deadline of April 5, 2021
- Overview of the updated Admit Discharge and Transfer (ADT) requirements and practical advice for complying with the CMS ADT notification rule.
- Cybersecurity and Ransomeware updates to include a discussion on where the ransomed data goes.
- Recent cases, and increased activity
- A brief look at the DarkWeb
- A practical overview of Telehealth compliance risks and issues, and how to manage those risks and address developing, implementing, and sustaining an effective and compliant telehealth program.
SESSION #2: Unintended Consequences of Due Diligence
PYA’s Lori Foley and Foley & Lardner’s Roger Strode:
- Discussed why due diligence is important to both parties
- Identified key issues often discovered in due diligence – and impact to the seller once discovered
- Reviewed examples of issues discovered and resulting impacts
- Identified key steps to prepare for a future transaction
SESSION #3: Telemedicine: Trendy or Here to Stay?
Foley & Lardner’s Jackie Acosta and PYA’s Valerie Rock discussed:
- Telemedicine pre-COVID
- Current trends in telemedicine during COVID
- Anticipated future state of telemedicine post-COVID
SESSION #4: Physician Compensation: Hot Topics
Foley & Lardner’s Jana Kolarik and PYA’s Angie Caldwell discussed:
- Why physician compensation is a compliance risk for nearly all healthcare organizations.
- A practical overview of the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback statutes, including an update for the revised Final Rules.
- Recent settlements and cases
- Understanding the problematic areas and conclusions under then-current regulations
- Understanding how the recently revised regulations may have affected the conclusions
- Using case studies, describe current risk trends and how to address them
If you would like more information on compliance, contact PYA at (800) 270-9629.