Ongoing change. Ongoing learning. That’s the theme of this year’s Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA) Health Care Industry Conference. The event will take place April 25-26, 2019, in Orlando, Florida.
The conference brings together industry professionals to discuss the latest research, resources, and insights, with in-depth sessions focused on healthcare accounting, revenue cycles, fair market value (FMV), and more. A host of PYA thought leaders are among those on the agenda to share industry insights.
PYA Principal Debbie Ernsberger will highlight provisions of tax reform that impact tax-exempt organizations in her presentation, “Taxing the Exempt? The Impact of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act on Tax-Exempt Organizations.” She will focus on:
- Covered-employee compensation exceeding $1 million per individual and the excise tax provisions.
- Unrelated business income activities and the use of net operating loss carryforwards.
- Tax treatment of fringe benefits and the potential impact of changes to employer-provided parking.
- Opportunities for planning under the new Act.
PYA Principal Martie Ross will address “Alternative Payment Models,” in her presentation, which will focus on:
- Details of the rapidly accelerating transition from fee-for-service reimbursement to value-based payments.
- New models, including pay-for-performance, episodic payments, shared savings arrangements, and global budgets.
PYA Principal Tynan Kugler and Jana Kolarik of Foley & Lardner will also co-present “Fair Market Value and Commercial Reasonableness—Stark Law and Regulatory Risks.” Attendees will:
- Learn about Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute with a focus on fair market value (FMV) and commercial reasonableness (CR) assessments and related risks.
- Explore the enforcement agencies’ interest in physician compensation arrangements and strategies to avoid FMV and CR-related pitfalls.
Additionally, PYA Managing Principal of Audit & Assurance Services Mike Shamblin will present “Accounting for Software Implementation and Physician Guarantees.” The presentation will cover:
- Unique accounting rules and industry best practices healthcare providers should know about accounting and financial reporting for software development.
- Accounting treatment for physician guarantees.
If you would like assistance with any matter involving tax, audit, or accounting for healthcare; compliance; valuation; or strategy and integration, contact one of our PYA executives below at (800) 270-9629.